Saturday, September 3, 2022

"Lion from Clam" by Seth D. King


By Seth D. King

June 27, 2022


Hiding from myself
Hidden behind a mask
Not knowing who I am
Afraid of attention
Pre self-realization
Pre self-invention
Mom and dad couldn’t hold it together
Temporary stole away our forever
Reasons made them separate
When my brother was 4 and I was 8
Nothing was intended

A boy left unguided

Living with mom, but she could not reach
Dad too far away to teach


I was quiet, shy, and meek

Where is the truth I seek?

Bullied and called “clam”

A boy who felt insignificant

World split apart and aside tossed

Innocent, but still innocence lost

Abused, spoiled, and neglected

A torn mind and heart

Like it was my fault they split apart

Stigmata mirror made vertigo

Stunted before I could grow 

Afraid of what I did not know 


Distorted images bent

Criticized for what my parents could not prevent

Vulnerable pushing the world away

Feeling so alone and far away

But light finds a way

To break through the facade

Brilliant ideas found in darkness

Although I continued to resist

The light did persist

Avoiding the spotlight

Yet inside of me spirit burned bright

Failing to realize how powerful I am

Running away from myself

Truth could not stay hidden

The voice spoke from within


A sleeping giant

Death defiant and self-reliant

Resilient and compassionate

Creative and passionate

A savior lives in my soul

A diamond from coal

A courageous man 

A lion from clam

A conqueror from lamb

Once a child who felt like a grain of sand


Tempered into steel forged in the fire of teaching

A safe haven was my heart’s own desire

Home found in my classroom & in my own mind

Sensitive, strong, gentle, and kind

Science, technology, humanity, and art

Embraced by my own heart

A blessing to realize my own dream

A love found superior to all appearances of what may seem


Now I can see

The pearl within is me

Where once I seemed drowned

My feet rest now on solid ground

This Light shines out from me to you

Simply now

Being true

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Immaculate Conception" by Seth D. King

Out of a frying pan... And into fire... Out of which rises... A phoenix... Like the transformation of a caterpillar into… A butterfly... Lik...